Saturday, May 15, 2010

My Ideal Disneyland Part 6

Before I move to Fanstasyland I wanna say a couple of things about Tommorrowland I overlooked. Firstly, I don't think I mentioned the Starcade, which is a two story arcade next to Space Mountain. I've never been inside because to me it's like why would anyone go to Disneyland to play at an arcade? You can find arcades anywhere. You can't find the rides at Disneyland anywhere though. Also, the second floor has been blocked off for a few years I think. I don't know why...the escalators from when Space Mountain was built (I think) are still there but aren't on. It's strange and also a huge waste of space. With the empty second story plus the empty helipad area up by the queue of Space Mountain, you have a heck of a lot of wasted space. This person seems to agree with me. They should do something with that space. However, maybe they have plans for it as they did just repave the flooring a month or so ago. Also, since my last posts on Tland, they have restored and updated Captain EO in the wake of Michael Jackson's death. I think it's nice but they need to get something new and more permanent in there. There some pics of the EO revamp and the work on the Starcade over at Micechat.
Another thing I thought I should mention is the Skyway. Many people who remember it miss it. According to Wikipedia, it was opened in 1956 and closed in 1994 due to stress cracks on supports. The supports were taken down quickly and the holes through the Matterhorn were filled in. The Skyway was a gondola tram ride that took guests from Tommorrowland to Fantasyland or vice versa. It was yet another sight-seeing Tland ride, along with the People Mover and the Monorail. I never went on the Skyway ride. Probably the earliest I ever went to Dland was when I was about 4, which was in 1994 so it was either in its last days or already gone by the time I came along. I probably wouldn't ride it anyways because that thing looked sketch. Daveland's got tons of pics here. (Man I wish I had my own vintage pics to post. But I don't, so I just write my thoughts and link to other people's awesome pics.) So, in my ideal Dland, the Skyway wouldn't be there. Some people probably liked it and were sad to see it go but from pictures I've seen, the supports were distracting and I think the Disneyland skyline was too polluted with it. You have the castle, which should be the focal point, then you have the guide wires for tink to fly over the castle, and then cables with cars on top of that! Too busy! Plus, I think that futuristic wires and buckets going over Fantasyland would have killed the atmosphere. So that's that. One thing I will say though is that I'm obviously interested in Dland's past and one thing I LOVE about dland and it's past is being able to still find remnants of it around the park. It's like digging up something lost from the past or something. I LOVE
it. There are many examples which I'll get to later but this particular example is the old Fantasyland Skyway station. The Tland Skyway station was demolished but many people don't know that the Fland one is still there. You just have to know where to look. It's hidden by trees and empty but it's still there on a hill next to Casey Junior. There's a little cement stairway th
at's chained off that goes up to it. If you step over the chain covertly and walk up a bit, you can see it, with it's little Swiss-style decorations still painted there fading. Oh, nostalgia. There are "Skyway remnant photos" you can look at at that Daveland link above. It's great to compare how much the area has changed and how much the trees and plants have grown to hide it.

No comments:

Post a Comment