Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Disney Sequels Part 2

Okay, where did I leave off? Oh, and a warning. This may contain SPOILERS.

Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World (1998)
The Lion King II: Simba's Pride (1998)

Alright, Pocahontas was one of the golden age films. Although not as popular as Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, or Aladdin, I still enjoy it. It bothered me slightly at the end of the movie when John Smith had to leave. It was the only Disney movie I had ever seen where the main guy and gal didn't end up together. It didn't make me dislike the movie though. It just kind of left it there saying that they each had their places in their own worlds, where they were needed most. I refuse to watch the sequel because I have heard that Pocahontas ends up with a man other than John Smith (which is factual, I know) and I've seen screen shots of her in that dress and wig and it's so sad! I don't want my image of the noble, wise and beautiful Pocahontas tainted, okay? So that's that.
The Lion King II. Okay, out of all the Disney sequels I've seen, this one is by far the best. Syskel & Ebert even liked it! They got almost all of the original voices including voices for Mufasa, Simba, Rafiki, Nala, Timon and Pumbaa. The new characters were interesting...Zira is an insane villain but not as cool and collected as scar, her son Nuka (Andy Dick) is neurotic but the part where he dies is heart breaking, her son Kovu is a pretty awesome main character (Jason Marsden, who has provided a lot for Disney including the voice of Goofy's son, Max), and her daughter Vitani is pretty kick ass (Lacy Chabert of Mean Girls popularity). The thing that bothered me was the lack of Sarabi. What, did she just drop off the face of the earth??? I really liked Simba's mom. Sadly, the woman behind her powerful voice, Madge Sinclair, died of cancer shortly after the first movies release. She and James Earl Jones played a different sort of African King and Queen in "Coming to America" with Eddie Murphy, which I always find amusing. Also, Suzanne Pleshette, the voice of Zira also has since passed away. Anyways, the animation is also MUCH improved when compared to "Return of Jafar." Also, the movie had a pretty good story line. It was interesting to see Simba as a father (although I liked him better in the first movie. He wasn't as uptight and protective.) I really liked Kiara's rebellious nature and how she was so much like her father. The songs didn't live up to the first movies, but it's a sequel, what can you ask for? They were decent though. I just want to say something though. Matthew Broderick can sing. He has been on Broadway! Why don't they ever use his singing voice??? I mean, the guys they choose for his singing voices are good but why? Maybe they wanted a manlier singing voice haha. One of my favorite songs is "He lives in you" where they brought Lebo M. back in to work on the African chants.

They liked the song so much, they used it TWICE in the musical and it works quite well with the first movie's story line because if you remember, when Simba meets back up with Rafiki, Rafiki puts his finger in the water and says, "You see, he lives in you." That's one of my favorite parts! Here's the Broadway reprise version, which I love.

I also like the songs from the movie, "We are One," and "Love will Find a Way."

I hate the song "Upendi." Oh my goodness, it's weird. But, despite a few drawbacks, The Lion King II is dang good for a Disney sequel and the sales show it. I think it's one of the highest, if not THE highest grossing of straight to video/DVD Disney sequels out there if I'm not mistaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment