Monday, August 17, 2009

My Ideal Disneyland Part 2

Okay, time to continue. I am really sorry for the length of part 1. I got carried away. I promise I won't do that again. So the last thing I covered was Innoventions. I want to mention that at some time during the 10 years that it sat attractionless, it was used as offices and dressing rooms for cast members. There is a great story from a past CM about it here. Check out the rest of his site. It's awesome!
So moving on. Next, I'll cover Autopia. It is one of the earliest attractions in Tland and although it has been altered a bit over the years, it's remained largely the same. In "my ideal dland" I really wouldn't change anything about Autopia. It's one of the few dland rides I've never been on but I can see what it would be like. BORING. But that's because I can drive. Kids love it because they feel like they are driving and who doesn't want that when they're a kid? The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't really have anything to do with the future. We have cars. In fact, there were cars back in the 50s too, so why was this put in Tland? Will 8 year olds drive in the future? Who knows? But it's got to stay. I wouldn't take it out because it's so popular with the kids and it's a classic. The only thing I could think of to make it more futuristic is to make the cars more streamline or make them look sort of like landspeeders from Star Wars. I don't know. Anyways...
Sub Voyage is next. Unfortunately, I never went on the old Sub Voyage. I actually remember being at dland when I was about 6-ish, maybe even younger. We usually skipped Tland, but we didn't that time I guess. I remember being on the loading dock and getting scared. I was with my dad and I was afraid because I thought it was a real submarine and that it went all the way underwater and I was a paranoid little kid so I was afraid it would sink or something. So, I didn't go on it and my dad went alone while I stayed with my mom. :( Even if I had gotten on it, I probably wouldn't remember much about it to this day but I still wish I had. Shortly after that, it was closed. I don't know why. I've seen pics and I think it looked awesome. I also wish they would've kept the mermaids, which were only there for about a year when it first opened. (There's lots more pics out there if you wanna look them up.) But reportedly, the girls' hair was getting fried by the chlorine and guys were being rude and some of them even jumped in after them, which I don't know whether to believe or not. So after the lagoon sat empty like a ghost of the past for about a decade, they brought it back as the Nemo ride. I've been on it once and it was pretty cool. I just have a problem with pixar in dland for some reason. It doesn't seem legit or to me or something. But whatever, a Nemo sub ride is better than no sub ride! But if I had my way, I think I would have rather had them bring back the old one but revamp it and make it better. I think they had an Atlantis section...they could have made it have a movie tie in part at that part, although the movie wasn't that great a success. I liked it. And it wouldn't be an "Atlantis movie ride" Just the Atlantis section of the ride could be inspired by the architecture and stuff in the movie. They could throw in some monsters, giant squid, loch ness monster, whatever. Then, it would be more geared towards "tomorrow" too...like the discoveries of the future. Just a thought. Daveland has a bunch of great pics of the old sub ride here.
Okay, if I do another attraction, this thing is gonna be WAY long but before I go, I wanna say that I wish Tland weren't so huge. Like the entire upper right corner of the park is just sprawling Autopia track. If they would've just made the track tighter, they'd have more room for some fantasy land stuff. Or better yet, they could've put the Matterhorn up there and put another Fantasyland attraction where the Matterhorn is. I just feel like Tland gets too much room. It hogs like half the park while poor Adventure land is like "a hallway with Indiana Jones at the end of it" as I read of one blogger. It's just sad. Adventureland has so much potential but no room! So sad. Anyways, that's all for now. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment